Wednesday 4 September 2013

Adopting - Joy on the Mission



One important calling we have on the mission is "adopting" missionaries from time to time. I have to say that for me, this is always precious time aka life-time memories! 

Adoption


Missionaries go in and out of our lives almost everyday, but there are some with whom we just "connect". Our bond is strong  - and we know it will last for this life and the life here after. For one reason or another, God made our paths cross and we walked together for a time. Often we get Elders in our home because we have 24 bunk beds and the sisters often stay with the Mission President. But once in awhile when the President requests, we get sisters.  

This Sister stayed with us for a few days, waiting for her new companion to arrive. We made cookies to take to all of our investigators. She made us fresh guacamole  and homemade quesadillas. She is from Mexico. I am so grateful for her because she has been my tutor in the Spanish Language and my progress has escalated. 





As you may or may not remember, I am the housing coordinator for the mission. This means that day to day, I am in missionary apartments helping teach about cleaning/organizing, doing inspections, and bringing needed items.

Well, about a month ago, I told all the missionaries that if they would report by email after they cleaned on P-Day, I would put all those reports in a bowl and we would have a drawing for a blender! They ALL want one so bad, but the mission doesn't provide them.  This is the group of elders who won!  They were so excited! Slowly - and but true - we are getting the apartments up to a better standard. 




Last week, we had the privilege of having Elder and Sister Anderson with us, Area Caribbean President and wife.  We "feasted" for three days - hearing him minister to the mission. I learned so much - words cannot describe the feelings and transformation within my mind, heart, and soul. 

At the Zone Conferences, I showed a "BEFORE AND AFTER" video of the apartments. The Andersons loved it so much they asked to use it at an Area Mission Presidents Training Conference. 



We are so blessed to break bread with so many outstanding people here on the mission. Our life is full and we are so happy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so many blessings come from serving a mission! Great incentive to have a drawing for keeping their apts clean! I'll have to tell Doug about that for all the missionaries in our Stake. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete