Sunday 3 November 2013

Pass along the Good - Bury the Bad.

We are the sum product of our past experiences and circumstances - both good and bad.  Most of our better qualities, characteristics, habits, talents, and desires we, in some way or another, inherited from our parents or ancestors. 
And on the other hand, the same goes for the bad.

Now the trick in life, is to keep the good and let go of the bad, never passing on the chain link that is undesirable.

Having been a teacher for many years, I was never surprised to see a parent step into my classroom on parent teacher night and act in someway or another like his/her child in my classroom. It was evident that we can be, both grateful and ungrateful for the what we have inherited through our parents.

Sometimes it is just a matter of tradition. Elder Young's family never put much emphasis on birthdays and so he never thought I should. However, because of my family's traditions around birthdays, we did have great parties.

I couldn't help but think about my mother and father this past week and some of the traditions passed along ...

Halloween for one, was a BIG deal. Maybe that is why I love it so much. We spent hours planning our costumes and preparing for Halloween. Well, it seemed like hours at the time. And Mom worked so hard that night to make everything so magical. The smell of hot donuts and homemade chili in the kitchen, while my sisters and I were in the bathroom having fun with the Halloween makeup is something I will never forget. We lived in a little town called Ucon with only a few thousand people. But the houses were close together and everyone knew everybody. We were caught up in counting how many trick or treaters came to our door each year. I still can envision the note pad with the tally marks by the big bowl of candy at the front door. One time I recall up to 3 or 4 hundred came. My friends, sisters and I would go out from door to door, while Mom and Dad stayed home to hand out candy and donuts. I don't remember having supervision - I guess we were safe. I do remember little cartons of orange juice from the neighbor who was our dentist and giant popcorn balls from grandma's house around the corner from us. 

Well enough memories... 

More about inheriting from our parents...
There is one phobia that I wish I hadn't inherited from Mom and Dad. It is the fear of dirty places and things - known as Mysophobia or Misophobia. Although this phobia is different from person to person - basically it boils down to not being able to cope with another person's "dirt" as Dad would put it. It has a wide sphere of different symptoms and degrees for different people - but in a nut shell - if you are afraid of dirty places - especially public places - you might have it too. I share this phobia with several "smart" people in the world including Donald Trump and Glenn Beck, so maybe it's legit. However, it has plagued me at times from enjoying life around me. I am afraid I have gotten worse being on my mission and having to confront it almost everyday.
I cringe at having bare feet on a dirty floor, coping with sticky hands, or touching things in public places. Sometimes I feel sick to my stomach when I see the neglected - such as a homeless person's abode under the freeway or a run-down apartment complex. Sometimes it is all I can do, to tune out the screaming panic in my head and focus on something beautiful around me.

I was telling my husband that I think I have done a good job of not passing this link to my children. Although they all know how to clean and they are all capable of having a clean house/apartment, none of them stress over it like I do. The key thing here is balance - balance in everything. Yes, we need to keep our places clean - but there is no reason to get sick over it. 

I am grateful for my parents and ancestors and what they taught me. 
If I had to name the single most important "link" they passed along to me that I have passed along to my children, it is a testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ and his restored gospel. A scripture from the Bible in the Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Romans says: 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto Salvation to every one that believeth;"

I know that the true Gospel of Jesus Christ is upon this earth. It has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith. Time is running short. We must prepare to meet Christ again. He is coming. I know this without a doubt. I love this mission and I love helping people come to Him, even Jesus Christ! The church is true!

I am thankful for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan.





No comments:

Post a Comment