Monday 18 November 2013

So You Want To Do What I Am Doing?

Hey, I know many of you have expressed a desire to do what I am doing. You are "looking forward to the day when...". But you don't have to wait. I shared the gospel just as much before my mission... and I plan to share the gospel just as much after my mission. 

My friend, Amy, had the same experience (sharing without the official call) and found "joy" spreading the true gospel of Jesus Christ. She has given me permission to share this with you. This was a story published recently. Enjoy! and I promise you that it will inspire!

“GIVE THEM YOUR DINNER”
Hastening the Work
            The year of 2012 was full of humbling adversity for our family. Through faith, repentance and obedience to the charge to be a member missionary, our family has felt the healing power of the Atonement.  In July 2013, The full-time Elders from our ward ate dinner with our family. As dauntless Elder Avanesyan, from Armenia, challenged us to pray for a missionary experience, I felt the Spirit speak clearly to me that our family badly needed the blessings that would follow. I was afraid. I knew what this would mean; that I, a mother raising four busy, challenging children (with a variety of special needs) and running a business with my husband, would have to find the time to share the gospel also. However, I had accepted the challenge from the Elders. I had faith that the Lord was preparing someone, and I couldn’t afford the luxury of missing out on the blessings. The fleeting thought that Jared and Kristin McCowan, (a non-member, and his less-active wife) may somehow be interested. I quickly dismissed the thought. This dear family had an autistic child, and also suffered from mental illness and drug addiction. The Elders left and I prayed for direction and courage.
            Three months after the challenge was issued, I got a call from Kristin. Their car had broken down, again—and Ariel needed a ride. By some unlikely circumstance, I was home and cooking dinner for my family.  I offered to give them a ride. As I left the house, the phrase came clearly to my mind, “Give them your dinner.” My children were hungry. This was a rare occasion to eat together as family a dinner I hadn’t burned. I waved-off the thought and assumed it was my overly-impulsive nature. As I was getting into the car, I once again had the clear impression—“GIVE THEM YOUR DINNER.” It was more like an emphatic whisper this time. I rolled my eyes at the thought, sighed heavily, and then went back into the house. I pulled the steaming skillet full of food off the stove. It had no sauce yet, and I wrapped it in a dirty towel I grabbed off the floor, and took it to the car.
            I walked to the door and apologized for bringing a bland, unexpected, sauce-less dinner in an old frying pan. What I didn’t know was the at the Lord was working through me, and that following the counsel of President Thomas S. Monson to “never suppress a generous thought” was going to change the course of two families’ lives. A pathetic dinner would do just fine. Kristin thanked me and I dropped Jared and Ariel off at rehearsal.
The next morning, another rescue call came. The car had stalled again in the parking lot of a grocery store. I was, again able to intercede with a ride to school for Ariel and a ride home for Jared. As we drove, Jared shared with me some tender experiences he had over the weekend.  . Twice he had car trouble and he had been protected and watched over by the Lord. His car had run out of gas and a “big motorcycle biker” stopped and actually pushed the car---with his bike! The man then filled the car with gas as a gift and left. The next day, with Ariel in the car, it stalled again near the freeway. Suddenly, as if from nowhere, three “strapping young men” approached them and offered to push the car by hand back up the ramp and onto the road. Jared looked over at me, and at that moment, the Lord then used my dauntless tendency not to filter my words. Mind you, I barely knew Jared. He was just the husband of my friend Kristin. It was not my place, nor did I feel comfortable or appropriate in telling him what I did. But, moved upon by the Spirit, I boldly declared, “Jared, how many times will the Lord send you a rescue helicopter as you and your family are stranded on the roof, with flood water rising all around, before you acknowledge who it is coming to your rescue?” Jared, dropped his head. “I know, I know. It’s God answering my pleas.” “Well,” I looked him in the eye, “What are you going to do about it, Jared?” “I’m not sure,” came his quiet response. “Well, Jared, you’d make a pretty good Mormon.” I smiled and he snickered. Then I dropped him off at home.
            The following afternoon, I got a voicemail message from Kristin. I listened to it and tears welled-up as my heart seemed to stop. “Amy, thank you for the dinner and the rides. I have been able to convince Jared and we have decided to come back to church as a family. We mean to start attending every week. We will probably need a ride on Sunday, though because the car may not be ready.” My heart began beating again. I ran to my husband, Tim. “You have to listen to this.” Tears then filled his eyes as he realized what the Lord had been busy doing. Lending them the lawnmower all summer, babysitting their kids, quiet—and sometimes loud examples of keeping the commandments through our experiences in theater, giving up a sub-par dinner, and courageously calling this man I barely knew to repentance; all these things in tandem had been designed by the Lord to give the McCowans the opportunity to feel the Spirit of the Lord pull them into the safety of His fold.
            Kristin, Jared, Ariel and Caleb were dressed in borrowed Sunday attire. Sunday we took two cars to church, one filled with McCowans and one filled with my own children—a very loud and charismatic caravan. Our families attended church together. The following week in church, Jared bore his testimony to the entire congregation about being guided by the Spirit and feeling loved by the Lord.
That week, Elder Reinhold joined with Elders Avanesyan and Cantrell as a triple companionship. Elder Reinhold probably didn’t know at the time that his arrival was part of the Lord’s design to teach the McCowans. I had told Elder Avanesyan and Elder Cantrell about the McCowan family the night I received the phone message from Kristin. I was filled with excitement for the potential of this family. I confidently told the missionaries, “This family is going to be baptized! Get your white clothes ready!”
A week later, Elder Reinhold, out on a mission for only two weeks, asked Jared if he would follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized. “That’s why I’m here!” came Jared’s ecstatic response. That afternoon, the Elders and I joined together in a special fast for the McCowans as they began to obey the Word of Wisdom.
            Several days into discussions, Ariel needed another ride to singing rehearsal. As I was driving Ariel and my daughter to rehearsal, I felt compelled to talk with her also about the gospel that her Father was embracing and his upcoming baptism. I told her how precious the Gift of the Holy Ghost was to me. To my surprise, she told me that she wanted to be baptized, too!  I told her that she was already old enough and that she may even be able to be baptized with her Father two weeks later. She asked, “Would the Elders let me? What do I need to do?” I said, “Absolutely! Let’s call them right now and ask them!” I put Elder Avanesyan on speaker phone in my car and explained that Jared’s daughter was with me and that she was wondering if they would let her get baptized with her dad. Of course, they were thrilled and very encouraging. (I later found out that Elder Avanesyan screamed for joy when they got off the phone!) Shortly after I dropped the girls off, I had the pleasure of calling Jared to tell him that his baby girl would be following in his footsteps toward baptism and that she wanted to learn everything he had been taught about the Gospel. I then texted the Elders, “Sharing the gospel is PURE JOY!” This feeling was beyond happiness—it was pure joy.
Ariel accompanied us to several lessons in the following week. During one particularly joyful lesson, the Elders and I struggled to hold back our emotion as we watched Jared begin to take over and teach and explain his understanding of principles of the Gospel to his daughter. What began as a “catch-up-discussion” became a precious experience as we watched a humble father teach and bear testimony to his daughter of sacred truths he, himself had only just learned. The joy we all felt joy cannot be adequately described in written words. After Jared had his pre-baptismal interview with Elders Anderson, Avanesyan, Cantrell, Crane and Reinhold, Bingham, and myself--my emotion took the form of an involuntary victory-happy-dance in the hall of the church. The phrase,“Jump for joy” has new meaning to me now.
            Jared and Kristin are now living the Word of Wisdom, and this evening, October 29th, 2013, my husband, Tim will baptize Jared and his daughter Ariel. Their sweet autistic son, Caleb will, no doubt embrace the same opportunity as soon as he is able to do so.  I am particularly humbled that the Mission President had the inspiration to assign a third Elder to our ward at just the perfect time--enabling the Elders to teach in my home, during a period of weeks when my husband would be working long hours and could not be present.
            There is no joy, no success, nor happiness that can compare with the experience of bringing people into the light of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I will continue all my life to seek those who are ready to be rescued into the safety of His fold. They “are only kept from the truth because they no not where to find it.” I will look for another family. I will never stop hastening His work. The Lord has my hands and my heart. I pray he will continue to use my family as an instrument in bringing people to Him.
The joy and healing blessings that have been heaped upon my own family, my precious marriage, and my personal testimony of the Savior’s love for me are immeasurable. I am humbled and honored that He can work through an imperfect, selfish, flawed daughter like me to accomplish great things. My “plate” may already be full-- but I will just take another plate and have faith that the Lord Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father will guide and direct me every day and every hour. I cannot deny and cannot keep from declaring that sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ indeed changes lives, transforms character, fortifies families, and resurrects love in marriages. I feel as the sons of Mosiah 28:3 “Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not abear that any human bsoul should cperish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure dendless torment did cause them to quake and etremble.”
 I am so very grateful that I listened to the bold, yet quiet promptings of the Holy Ghost. I will serve Him all my days and I will never hesitate to give my time, talents and all God has blessed me with or will bless me with… even my dinner.



-Amy Elizabeth Akin
Yakima 6th Ward
Yakima, Washington Stake
October 29, 2013


Post your comments and "take aways". I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment