Thursday 20 June 2013

Sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ - The Frosting

Kyle and I have had the opportunity to be with the young full-time missionaries and meet some wonderful people of the island. These experiences, for me, are the "frosting on the cake" while serving a mission! We usually are working in the mission office until 7 at night or driving back from some little town after a delivery to a missionary apartment. However, a few nights we have managed to squeeze in some precious time teaching with the elders.

The Rivera and the Suarez Family have won our hearts. We have had lessons and dinners in their homes, danced together at the ward party, and recently, we had them over for "Noche De Hogar" otherwise known as family home evening. The ward party was pretty amazing - check out the balloons! I don't know if they got those ideas from Pinterest - but it was well done. My favorite is sharing recipes! When we were living in Oregon, the sister missionaries brought us (several times) Missionary Banana Bread. Now I have revived the tradition and we have made Missionary Banana Bread for FHE and to give away. I will post the recipe below. Also my Grandmother Harriet Clayton often made Sticky Popcorn Balls for Family night. I have also brought her tradition back and the children love them!





I would like to share a little experience. We met with the Rivera Family and we were talking about how God can help us solve our problems, if we just ask. The mother, Yanira, picked her favorite hymn to sing, "I Need Thee Every Hour" - I didn't have it memorized (in Spanish) so I just listened and hummed along. Then, Elder Mellow led a powerful discussion in the scriptures about this topic. Afterwards, he asked me to bear my testimony about how God can hear and answer prayers. As I testified, I felt a whoosh go from my head to my toes and my words were guided - I know that because my Spanish isn't that great yet. It was definitely something to be remembered for a long, long time.

The Church is TRUE!







Missionary Banana Bread:

(Doubled)
2 sticks of butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
Blend well
Add 4 mashed very ripe bananas
Mix
Add 4 eggs
Mix
Add 4 cups of flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
Mix
Add 4 tsp. Vanilla
Add 1 cup milk
Mix
Pour into two or three greased bread pans
Bake 375 degrees for 45 mins. or until the middle is done

Happy Baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment