Monday 14 October 2013

Mind Over Itch

This past week we enjoyed our family visiting here in Puerto Rico - all came but one son-in-law and our two missionary sons.

It was incredible! I can laugh now, but a few days ago I thought I would go bonkers with millions of little bites on my legs. My daughter, Eva NeKell, had the same problem. It was "mind over itch" as we tried to cope! This is how it went down:

In Autumn's words:
"I want to tell you about my first visit to the beach. Last night at one o'clock in the morning Mom, Dad and Eva picked Austin and I up at the airport. Dad asked me what I wanted to do and I insisted on going to the beach..at one in the morning. Dad drives crazy here. As we drove to the beach, he made a wrong turn which cost us like 20 minutes. The beach he was taking us to was closed, so he drove deeper into the more authentic part of Puerto Rico. We were driving on a very narrow road passing a lot of fun open shops cooking food with really loud music and lots of people..at 1:30 in the morning. Dad found a spot and we hopped out of the van. As we got to the sand, Dad asked Austin and I if we were getting bit by insects, as he slaps his neck, face and arms. We said no. He noticed the water was a ways out and he explained that we came to a bad spot because we were by a barrier holding standing water and the ocean was farther out.. then Eva and Mom joined us and all at once an army of bugs attacked us. Mom had the brilliant idea of taking a picture at that time and completely unposed -she got the best picture of Eva, Austin and I as we are getting eaten alive." 
So we visited some beaches including some of the most recommended in travel - I believe Culebra Island Flamenco Beach is rated 2nd! Breathe-taking indeed! And we were there!



My favorite part of the beach experience was watching the grandkids! We had Bryce and Josiah who loved eating sand and taking naps in the blow ups. Then we had Brooke and Bradly who loved digging holes, making sand castles, and swimming in the bathwater-warm waves.









Our beach resort with a kitty and live chickens included gave us that "home-y" feeling. It was a paradise!


As all good things must come to an end - it about killed me when we were leaving that heavenly place. However, we made some memories that will last us a lifetime! 
Shopping was great when we returned!




One of the most rewarding experiences was meeting with our adopted family and our old neighbors, from 24 years ago! Bithia Rebecca (our adopted daughter) carried Austin on her hip and babysat the girls almost every day. We visited with the Olmos, our family in San German, where we sat down to a traditional pizza meal, this time our treat. Although I must say, their homemade pizza wins hands down! We visited our old house and and neighborhood.


  








Life is a circle -  now my children are having children of their own. It's hard to believe sometimes how fast life goes. I'm so proud of my family and I feel so blessed!



No comments:

Post a Comment